Page 2 of 4

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm
by Kain
I would like to give an honorable mention to the Sega Dreamcast controller.

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:00 pm
by Magyk
The Dreamcast was an awesome console tbh, it really failed because it was few years ahead of it's time.

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:10 pm
by GUARD!AN
Favorite controller of all time definitely goes to the N64 controller, it felt great and let you truly choose between D-pad or joystick without forcing you to yews a shape that felt weird that allowed you to yews both simultaneously.

That being said, it physically material-wise it was a complete piece of shit though. Those joysticks wore off all the time. My average N64 controller lasted 1 year. My average PS2 or XBOX 360 controller is still going since I bought it.

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:28 pm
by Magyk
I read that people have trouble with the joysticks on the n64 all the time, but I've been using my same two since 1998 and only one of them has a slightly-loose analog stick. The other is mint. Maybe I just got really lucky?

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:32 pm
by GUARD!AN
Magyk wrote:I read that people have trouble with the joysticks on the n64 all the time, but I've been using my same two since 1998 and only one of them has a slightly-loose analog stick. The other is mint. Maybe I just got really lucky?
Perhaps we played different games, which might explain it. Nearly all the games I played involved heavy yews of the joystick. (Rolling it round and round for my 720 air spins on Tony Hawk, intense shield-side dodging on smash bros, even mario party had a billion fucking mini-games that made you spin the joystick all over the place like a madman)

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:40 pm
by Magyk
I was mostly SSB/007/Perfect Dark for the heavy-on-the-joystick ones.

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:42 pm
by Silver Absolution
Man, I had mine for 4-5 years and workjed around perfectly. Then my brother came and in 2 more years my controllers got parkinson :cry:

EDIT: The controllers I dont get to last are the ones of my PS2, now that I remember!I cant make them last a year damn it :evil: (Well, taking into account that they are used more by my little brothers than me, it is comprehensible. Still...)

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:43 pm
by GUARD!AN
I'm also looking at the controllers right now, the joysticks on the other controllers were much better designed with a bigger ball and socket (and a larger neck connecting the joystick to it). It really just feels more resistant to excessive yews. Compare that to the flimsy little stick holding the joystick up on the N64 one and I just don't know what they were thinking.

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:01 pm
by Magyk
First of it's kind, they probably weren't thinking. I think I went through two PS2 controllers, but I was able to unscrew one and fix it myself. I don't remember exactly what the problem was though. I've been using the same PS3 controllers since day 1 with no problems.. same with Wii-Motes and left over Gamecube controllers.

Re: Favorite Controller of All Time?

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:04 pm
by GUARD!AN
Silver Absolution wrote:Man, I had mine for 4-5 years and workjed around perfectly. Then my brother came and in 2 more years my controllers got parkinson :cry:

EDIT: The controllers I dont get to last are the ones of my PS2, now that I remember!I cant make them last a year damn it :evil: (Well, taking into account that they are used more by my little brothers than me, it is comprehensible. Still...)
Silver has a point, perhaps I was just younger, and if I was given a PS2 or XBX360 controller at that age I would have destroyed it just as badly as well.

The gamecube controller actually is up there as one of my favorites too honestly. It was solid quality and felt pretty ergonomic. If it was a little bigger like the N64 controller it would have been perfect.